Skip to main content

Evaluation: Newspaper Advertisement

Evaluation: conventions




Background


I chose my background to be of prison bars because it clearly indicates to the audience the ideas, themes and genre my documentary is going to be focused around. I think the black and white effect connotes the dark realities of prison and how harsh and shocking the crime system is reflecting the themes presented in my documentary. In addition, I admire how well the background blends with the rest of the advertisement as it contrasts with the bold red title, ITV logo and my main image.

Photo

I decided to use a extreme close up shot of the prisoner's face from a clip of the documentary because it is zoomed in and focused on the prisoner's intense expression, which draws in the target audience. I increased colour contrast and changed the filter to a black and white effect, which looks effective because as it blends in with the background and imposes fear onto the reader. 

Chose of layout

I decided to place the main image around the middle of the advertisement because I wanted to capture the audience's attention immediately as it's the main focuspoint. Also, I wanted the title to be near the bottom as it looks more professional so, I needed the image to be above the title around the middle. Through research, I put the ITV logo in the right hand corner at the bottom because I found many popular advertisements put the TV/ production logo at the bottom in the corner as it's not a supposed to be a focuspoint. I located the release date underneath the title as I think it works well close to the title. 

Title

I created the title so, it had blood dripping off the edges and looked creepy linking to the themes presented in the documentary. I changed the title to red because it connotes danger and fear, which provides the readers with a understanding with the themes the documentary is about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amy Winehouse documentary: 5 shot analysis

This is a medium close up shot and a wide angle view capturing her substantial fan base on a worldwide level. The narrator is talking about how she tries to disappear from her life which could imply through her substance addiction and abuse which correlates with the shot as it shows her drinking. Amy looks slightly disoriented/dazed which matches the narration perfectly mediating her in a very negative light. In this shot, the lighting is very dark and dull which is unusual because when she is performing the lighting should be bright and vibrant. The mise en scene is the crowds of people in the background which highlights Amy's pure popularity through her talent. I feel as though Amy is the focus in this shot as the dark lighting makes her boldly stand out against the crowd. The shot slowly fades out as the background soundtrack of Amy quietens and fades which is very effective as it increases the intensity of audiences sympathy and sadness for her. This is a extreme close up...

My Documentary

Location Reece

Requirements of lighting- When filming at school I need natural lighting, unless if it gets dark I will use the artificial main lighting. When shooting at Bedford prison, I need natural lighting that is cloudy and grey to match the cold dingy location. Clearance for shooting- Before filming in the school canteen, I will speak to the staff that work there asking if I can film in there? what 2 days if possible I am allowed?, if it is possible for them to keep the canteen open for an hour after school a couple of days in my shooting week? and what days the canteen will be free from all staff? Before filming at Bedford prison, I will ask the staff if I am allowed to film there. I do not need any power as the equipment I am using does not need power available. The problems I may face is if I am not allowed to film at Bedford prison because that is the most local and convenient prison I am near. Although I can research other prisons reasonably close to me that allow filming. Also,...