Skip to main content

Evaluation Q1

This clip from Piers Morgan: Killer Women presents its use of commentary narrative layered with tense music leading up to a dramatic moment. This highlights how the traditional use of sound in crime documentaries does slightly contrast as they lack a mixture of music and sound effects.

I challenge traditional conventions of a crime documentary through my use of costume as I decided to use a light grey jumper for the prisoner costume. This differs from the usual costumes of a blue, white or orange jumpsuit commonly seen in popular documentaries e.g. Making Of A Murderer, Interview With A Serial Killer, Who Took Johnny.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amy Winehouse documentary: 5 shot analysis

This is a medium close up shot and a wide angle view capturing her substantial fan base on a worldwide level. The narrator is talking about how she tries to disappear from her life which could imply through her substance addiction and abuse which correlates with the shot as it shows her drinking. Amy looks slightly disoriented/dazed which matches the narration perfectly mediating her in a very negative light. In this shot, the lighting is very dark and dull which is unusual because when she is performing the lighting should be bright and vibrant. The mise en scene is the crowds of people in the background which highlights Amy's pure popularity through her talent. I feel as though Amy is the focus in this shot as the dark lighting makes her boldly stand out against the crowd. The shot slowly fades out as the background soundtrack of Amy quietens and fades which is very effective as it increases the intensity of audiences sympathy and sadness for her. This is a extreme close up...

My Documentary

Location Reece

Requirements of lighting- When filming at school I need natural lighting, unless if it gets dark I will use the artificial main lighting. When shooting at Bedford prison, I need natural lighting that is cloudy and grey to match the cold dingy location. Clearance for shooting- Before filming in the school canteen, I will speak to the staff that work there asking if I can film in there? what 2 days if possible I am allowed?, if it is possible for them to keep the canteen open for an hour after school a couple of days in my shooting week? and what days the canteen will be free from all staff? Before filming at Bedford prison, I will ask the staff if I am allowed to film there. I do not need any power as the equipment I am using does not need power available. The problems I may face is if I am not allowed to film at Bedford prison because that is the most local and convenient prison I am near. Although I can research other prisons reasonably close to me that allow filming. Also,...